During the most exciting and superb football match between Portugal and Spain, the world best player Ronaldo had many of his fans , sports news agency saying he was the first player to score in 8 consecutive FIFA competition. This news didn’t go down well with many Ghanaians and Africans as a whole.
Ghana’s Blackstar Captain Asamoah Gyan is the first player to set that record and these sports news agencies denied to give credit to Baby Jet. Lets all look at the statistics to know who did it first and why this of a BIG Deal to Africans.
The match was played at the Fisht Olympic Stadium with Attendance: 43,866. Portugal took only four minutes to open the scoring against Spain in Sochi, thanks to a history-making goal from Cristiano Ronaldo.
Ronaldo is now the first player in the history of the game to score in 8 consecutive major international tournaments.
— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) June 15, 2018
In all these wrong report put out by Sports Analysts and Pandits, Asamoah kept his cool and had this to say.
Gyan’s goals in major tournaments so we try to settle this once and for all.
1. Goal versus Czech at 2006 World Cup
2. Opening goal at Afcon2008 against Guinea
3. Three goals at Afcon2010 including SF winner against Nigeria
4. Three goals at 2010 #worldcup
5. Free-kick goal versus Mali at Afcon 2012
6. Goal versus Niger at 2013 Afcon
7. Goals versus Germany and Portugal at 2014 #WorldCup
8. Goal versus Algeria at 2015 Afcon
9. Goal versus Mali at 2017 Afcon.
Wondering why Asamoah Gyan is not being given the due credit. Probably because Ghana failed to qualify for the Worldcup or probably They do not respect the African Cup Competitions.